Friday, January 14, 2011

The World is Ours

As we stumbled back into room 1511 overlooking the Santiago skyline it became apparent that we were literally on top of the world.  We had just completed a happy hour at a rooftop bar where the DJ was booming hits such as "Up in Here" and "E.I." I knew South America was going to be the place for me.  As a group of business school students, you would have assumed us to have been tucked away in our beds for the past 5 hours preparing the site visit for the company in charge with bringing foreign business into Chile.  That was the opposite of what we were doing.  The evening of well crafted cocktails (in a very inefficient bar system) and a long night of networking had gotten our minds right.  I was taking multiple shots in room 1511 with the enigma known as "El Hefe". "El Hefe" was not like me or you.  He measured in at 6'7".  A former basketball player at Jaunita College in Pennsylvania, all Chilean locals looked up at him as if he was the white man that Cortes promised would come back after conquering South America.  Then he hit me with the bomb.  He like to sing karaoke.

"El Hefe" was blessed with not only talent on a basketball court, but blessed with the baritone voice of an angel.  With booming renditions of "Ice Ice Baby", "Hey Ya", and "I Think We're Alone Now" he had the entire audience mesmerized.  When in the States he works for the government, in Chile he was a rock star.  I knew that his friendship would be the key to the success of the trip.  The tandem we were about to create would become the greatest duo in the history of show business.  This was just night one of our trip throughout South America.  When I laid my head down on my pillow I knew the next 7 days were going to be the best week of my life.  Little did I know, this was the most sane night of the entire week...

No comments:

Post a Comment